Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Review: "The Blind Side" (2009)

Well, I have yet to review this film, although I have now seen it 1 + 1/2 times. I'm really not too sure where to start but the first thing that comes to mind is the fact the film was nominated for several awards. With the Academy now allotting 10 Best Picture slots, it is conceivable hwo this film was nominated, but just unrealistic in my perception of the film. This movie is filled to the brim, and then overflowing with cliche and cheesy failed attempts at accomplishing emotion. The first half of the film is obviously better than the second, creating an off the wall and unsteady story.

The character development is fine for the character Michael Oher, played by Quinton Aaron, but the acting is a bit underdeveloped. Sandra Bullock on the other hand, having seen the real character who she portrays in an interview, appears to have nailed the role. It is still upsetting however to see her nominated, solely because I seriously didn't enjoy a single moment of the character she played.

The movie felt like the quality of a Beethoven movie, and for it to even be nominated feels like I am watching Beethoven win awards. It is just upsetting. I have met very few people who have seen the film and enjoyed it, and I fear they may have been blinded and tricked into 2 hours of an American television movie. If this movie came out on a local network channel, and I happen to watch it, I just might have enjoyed myself more having the expectations drastically lowered. But unfortunately I watched the film after all the nominations and the bar was raised.

Films like these are responsible for "white" American cliches, which are really upsetting. Almost every scene feels exaggerated. If the story stuck with Quinton Aaron as Michael Oher, the film may have been 100 times better. Outside of his performance and intriguing character details, the film would be absolutely empty for me.

I really hope the director, John Lee Hancock doesn't show up again in Hollywood until it becomes more apparent he has learned how to make a film.

"The Blind Side"
4.5/10