Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Review: Lone Scherfig's "An Education" (2009)

Lone Scherfig, a no name director with few films under his belt manages to put together a seemingly interesting piece. The cast of the film was pretty unique. I had never really experienced or noticed these individuals before this film, and now have a greater respect for their abilities to carry a scene.

However, I think the story is in the end meaningless. There is no point to the film at the very end. I feel that I received a "school is cool" message, which isn't something I go to the theater for. I want something more profound, but if profound isn't in the story, just entertain me. I felt like the film was trying to convince me of certain importances in life which I disagree with in a great way.

I do want to mention by name the stars, in Peter Sarsgaard and Carey Mulligan, portrayed very interesting characters for the majority of the film. I don't think the flaws of the film hinge too much on the success or failure of director Lone Scherfig, but I think he had a part to play in some of the flaws. For the brunt of the blame, I deliver straight to anyone who held a pen or pencil in regards to the story.

The story isn't going to be as relevant to the current, at least American, generation. The 'stay in school' theme is done now, it isn't the ultimate 'good' here anymore and that absence removes relevance when it tries to carry that theme to the end as the lesson. Words that come to mind regarding this film include: unnecessary, empty, irreverent, boring, and impressive. Impressive is only attributed to the performances.

"An Education"
6.5 / 10