Monday, January 24, 2011

Review: Robert Benton's "Kramer vs. Kramer" (1979)

Robert Benton shot "Kramer vs. Kramer" after completing "Superman" (1978) just a year before. Robert Benton doesn't have a hugely popular body of work, but in 2 years, he gave the world his best.

The film itself won a handful of awards, including 'Best Picture'. Personally, I think the film falls a little just because it stole awards away from other films that year. Other films released, and snubbed, were "Apocalypse Now" and "Alien". When "Apocalypse Now" comes out and doesn't get the Academy Awards to look their direction, that tells me something is wrong.

I don't want to take away from what Robert Benton did with "Kramer vs Kramer", but it just wasn't the best of 1979, I think it was perhaps third best.

This movie was overall easy to watch. The film asks some questions that should be asked, and confronts some things that should be confronted, but these things are a bit small. I prefer grander questions, and going from watching "Blade Runner" to this just bothers me a little.

Dustin Hoffman gives an interesting performance, but there isn't anything over the top amazing about it. I always associated Hoffman's name with near greatness, but now I wonder how and why that is. He could be the best, most solid, mediocre actor out there. And another supposed legend, at least in terms of the world of actresses, Meryl Streep, is fine, but there are probably a million people on the planet who can create fake tears and look sad for a few minutes. I cannot say I was astounded, amazed, or shaken in any way by the performances in this film. Some of the traits, or moments by these characters can be imagined as real, but not as a whole. I have never seen the world react in a way that Meryl Streep's character does, for any reason.

The film had a good flow, above average performances, decent story, but I can tell it was washed with bleach because everything is a bit faded. Anyone should be able to pop this on their television and enjoy themselves, but they shouldn't be left with anything profound.

"Kramer vs. Kramer"
7 / 10