Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Review: James Gray's "Two Lovers" (2008)

James Gray doesn't have much in terms of films in his filmography. Previous to this film, he helmed "We Own the Night" also staring Joaquin Phoenix, was really a bomb and a half. The one thing that can be pulled from that project was Joaquin, and James did pull him into his next project. If James Gray did anything right, if he saw or learned anything in his film career leading to this point, it was to hang onto the golden nugget named Joaquin.

Joaquin Phoenix just may have played one of my favorite character studies in "Two Lovers". I fell for the character at every turn, by the force of great acting. I feel like I abuse terms like "one of the greatest" in terms of actors, but truly, Joaquin has a range of talent that very few, perhaps a number in the single digits, possess.

Joaquin Phoenix in this role was successful in everything it tried to be. In my immediate memory, there is no actor which can bring the amount of sorrow, true grief to the big screen like he can. No tear is more real than his. If I had a say in the path of an undergraduate actor, I would emphasize studying Mr. Phoenix's work. I believe if one could possibly observe and take from Joaquin at all, they could be great.

This role alone shot Joaquin into the sky for me. Before this role, there was the one great performance in "Gladiator", where he carried the only real drama of the whole film. Then there was "Signs", roles like this are often misused, but great actors are capable of making great things out of not so great roles, as did he in "Signs". After "Signs" was questionably his best role to date, "Walk the Line". He played Johnny Cash, a person I didn't really know much about, and learned the first few bites in this portrayal. When I say the film, I had nothing to compare it to, nothing to judge it's accuracy, but all I saw was something worth watching.

"Two Lovers" is easily Joaquin's best performance to date. If for no other reason to see the film, you should see it for the performance. The story is one of those that can go either way in Hollywood, depending on who's eye is capturing or performing it. In this case, it just happened to fall in the right hands. This story could not have been portrayed any better by the performances in the film. The cinematography, every shot, was done so well, it made me interested every moment of the film.

I was never very interested in Gwyneth Paltrow, but in this role, I wouldn't mind seeing her in roles calling for similar drama.

This movie should be seen by performance lovers. If you want a great story, its not here, but you do get however a very well executed story. I would love to hear someone's quarrels with this film, because I would engage and argue. We all have preferences, and that is really the only possibility of a hinderer in the film. Other than that, one thing I don't like to see, is that a single actor actually carries the whole success of the film. If you remove Joaquin, you get a very average, at best film. But, as the film is, it is a great execution.

"Two Lovers"
8 / 10