Monday, November 1, 2010

Review: "Bullitt" (1968)

Well, I went into this film having heard just a few things, one of them being that this film has one of the best car chase, or just car scenes in all of film. So, I sat down, pushed play, and wow. Wow. What a slow slow drift, all the way to the "great" scene.

The film may not have been easy to make, but they sure didn't try and make that not apparent. The hardest thing I thought they did was hiring a popular actor in Steve McQueen, or wait, did this elevate him? Eh, never the less, another hard part was the destruction of great cars, and great they were indeed. There were moments during the car chase that were good or even great, but the film leading up to that was just, awkward. The director tried to tell me Steve McQueen's character was a great cop without convincing me. It kind of reminded me of all the Chinese food spots around my house, all mom and pop owned, claiming they are the best ever. You can buy sticker, and place them in the window of your business, but you better LOOK the best and TASTE the best, to BE the best. 'Bullitt' never built McQueen until the car chase scene, then to the airport.

Uggh.

And talk about a director who hasn't done much...

Now, I know I am falling into a minority group when I stand on the opposing line for this film, but, its just inconsistent with itself. I was excited a few times, but just disappointed.

Maybe there aren't many car chase movies which earn greatness, but this shouldn't be one just based on the chase itself, or else you let in the beasts like "Fast and the Furious' run rampant... which I enjoy, but to put it in ANY "great" category feels wrong.. and same goes for 'Bullitt' in my mind.

"Bullitt"
6 / 10