Monday, November 1, 2010

Review: Werner Herzog's "Land of Silence and Darkness" (1971)

Werner Herzog can do no wrong, right? Well, it appears so, so far. This documentary is raw, as all his documentaries I have seen so far. It doesn't always take you to where you want to go, or often where you THINK you want to go, but he does take you to very interesting places. I am not fully satisfied in the places he took me in this film, but I did learn and enjoy very much what he had to show me. He doesn't just show you things you always want to see, but he is giving you his perspective, filming his interests, while not dressing anything up, which becomes intriguing. There isn't very much to say about this film, its sad, upsetting, dark, and just unfathomable. Unfathomable because of the conditions of those he chose to include and the level of relatability you have with them. If you have spare time, and like documentaries, you may be interested in taking an hour and a half of your time to watch this, but I won't be too pushy with this one.

"Land of Silence and Darkness"
7 / 10