Monday, November 1, 2010

Review: Christine Jeffs' "Sunshine Cleaning" (2008)

I am waiting for the minority group of directors to one day step it up... women. Every time I hear a movie is directed by a women, I get discouraged. That did change a bit when Kathryn Bigelow hit the screen with 'The Hurt Locker'. But still, so many women have made the one hit wonder column that I still don't have much faith in the work yet. I know its a matter of time, but I am growing impatient as the majority of Michael Bay directors keep reproducing bad babies. If Sofia Coppola can't start producing better mainstream projects, I will be upset, her father after all has provided the directors silver spoon. . . but that's the end of the list.

Christine Jeffs, the woman who helmed this film, did a decent job in conducting a few interesting moments, but I am baffled at trying to come up with a message. What in the world was she telling me? You can see most moments before they happen... that's called premonition right? No, its called bad directing.

This film makes me want to be in the room of the big company deciders, when it comes time to pick a script to finance. I want to see how they come to their conclusions, because this one had to have a bad pitch. You can't pitch this good. 2 girls, not women, GIRLS, start an amateur business while struggling to remain the same person from beginning to end.

Look, the acting wasn't bad. I don't like putting blame on actors unless their name is Brendan Fraser or they did absolutely absurd, but the main character played by Amy Adams just isn't given very much to work with. Meanwhile the sister gets a few dramatic moments which ends up in a head on collision with a homosexual confrontation. How lame.

Still, with all the ripping, I don't remember myself dreading it till the credits rolled. It did carry to the end like a drop-less log ride, partial anticipation, partial confusion, and nothing in the end.

The tank was on "E" the whole ride.

"Sunshine Cleaning"
5.5 / 10